Getting into an auto accident can be a scary experience, but it’s important to remain calm and take the necessary steps to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights. If you find yourself in an auto accident in Winona, MN, here’s what you should do:
- Check for injuries: The first priority after an accident is to check for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call for emergency medical assistance right away.
- Move to a safe area: If possible, move your vehicle to a safe area. This will help prevent additional accidents and allow you to exchange information with the other driver.
- Call the police: In Minnesota, you are required to report an accident to the police if it results in injury, death or property damage exceeding $1,000. Call 911 or the local police department to report the accident and wait for them to arrive.
- Exchange information: Exchange information with the other driver, including their name, contact information, and insurance information. If there were any witnesses to the accident, get their contact information as well.
- Take photos: Take photos of the damage to both vehicles, as well as any injuries you or your passengers may have sustained. This can be helpful when filing an insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company: Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident. They can provide guidance on the next steps to take and help you file a claim.
If you are in an auto accident in Winona, MN, it’s important to follow these steps to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights. Remember to stay calm and seek help if you need it.