Some homeowners may be traveling during the holidays to spend time with loved ones, leaving their unoccupied home a target for criminals or vulnerable to water damage.
Below are tips for protecting homes while away for extended periods of time:
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Turn off the water or put it on a slow drip. If you have an automatic water shut off device, set it to “Away” mode.
- Keep the thermostat at 55 degrees Fahrenheit or higher to maintain heat in the home.
- Resist the urge to announce travel plans on social media.
- Set alarms and make sure that all smoke detectors are working, so that potential burglars or fires can be detected as soon as possible.
- Have a trusted neighbor or family member check on the home periodically to make sure everything is in order.
- Let close neighbors know you will be gone and to watch for suspicious activity.
- Stop your mail to avoid mail pile up, which can lead to watchful criminals knowing you are gone, or to potential mail fraud.
The holiday season can be fun and hectic, so when it ends, we want you to return to a damage free home.